Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

Collection Campus Buildings
Title Entrance to Building 16A
Caption Building 16A
Description Front entrance to Building 16, the Lawton Chiles International House, also known as the Stone House, is named for the late Governor Lawton Chiles of Florida. The building was constructed in the 1930s and was the residence of G. Freeland Peter and Lulie Whitcock Peter. In 1949 it was acquired by NIH in the purchase of the 47.9 acre Peter estate. The Stone House is home to the Fogarty International Center (FIC), the international component of the NIH. The Center supports and advances the NIH mission through international partnerships that address global health challenges with collaborative research and training programs hosting senior scientists and academics visiting the Center for short periods to conduct studies and address issues critical to global health. The FIC also hosts international activities related to biomedical research and global health, including small seminars, international conferences, and receptions for visiting heads of state and other dignitaries. This building has undergone an extensive renovation.


Accession number 1122-Ph
Number of images 1
Catalog Number 1122
Photographer Unknown
Place Bethesda, MD
Source DIvision of Space and Facility Management, Office of Research Services, NIH
Year Range from 1940
Year Range to 1950
Organizations John E. Fogerty International Center
Buildings Building 16A
Other number 1122