Museum logo
Museum logo

Photo Record

Collection National Library of Medicine
Title National Library of Medicine Reading Room
Caption National Library of Medicine Reading Room
Description The Reading Room of the National Library of Medicine. The National Library of Medicine started in 1836 as a small collection of medical books and journals in the office of the United States Army Surgeon General. Before the collection moved in 1962 to National Institutes of Health Bethesda, MD campus, it was housed at these locations at the (1862-1866) Riggs Bank Building at 15th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, the (1866-1887) Ford's Theatre at 513 10th Street NW
(1887-1962) and before dedication in 1961 it was at the Army Medical Museum and Library Building at 7th Street and Independence Avenue SW , Washington, DC.
Credit line Courtesy of the Office of History, National Institutes of Health
Accession number 3503
Number of images 1
Catalog Number 3503
Photographer Hecht, G.V. (Jerry)
Place Bethesda, MD
Year Range from 1962
Year Range to 1963
Organizations NIH; NLM (National Library of Medicine)
Buildings Building 38 (National Library of Medicine)
Other number 3503