|Object Name||Tray, Impression|
|Title||Detroit Dental Mfg. C. Impression Tray (Upper)|
Steel. U-shaped with shallow tray and hump for tongue. Four holes and two brackets. Stamped with "Patented Mar. 14, 1911; Feb. 9, 1915, Detroit Dental Mfg. Co., 2 (.01), 1 (.02)." No number on .03 and no holder.
02.0019.037.01 - Narrow tray
02.0019.037.02 - Wide tray
02.0019.037.03 - Small tray (child’s ?)
|Date||early 20th century|
|Collection||H. Trendley Dean Collection|
|Caption||Detroit Dental Mfg. C. Impression Tray (Upper)|
Used by Dr. H. Trendley Dean (1893-1962), the first dental scientist a the National Institute of Health (1931-1953). He was most known for his studies of mottled teeth, fluoride, and dental caries which resulted in the first city-wide addition of fluoride to drinking water in Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1945. He became the first director of the National Institute of Dental Research in 1948, where he remained until he retired.
Impression trays were filled with plaster, wax, or other modeling compound to make a mold of the teeth and palate. The molds were used for making bridges, dentures, etc.
|Number of images||1|
|Organizations||NIH; NIDR (National Institute of Dental Research) (1948-1998)|
|NIH Property #||none|
|Old NIH Property #||none|
Dean, H. Trendley